Sandy's asking price appears to be extremely high for Ike. What does this show? Are they as willing to dump him as we previously thought? Will they eventually trade him for a lesser player?
It also appears that they are asking for pitching which leads me to believe they are considering trading from strength for other positions.
Will they trade him for a lesser player? It depends. I suspect if it's the Brewers (meaning the Bucs go elsewhere) they may. That team is going nowhere and it would be hard to justify overpaying (in their view) for Ike if they don't like the price.
The Pirates seem to have more depth, have a valid shot at contention again and have had a paltry off-season. Ike has more upside to him than Moreland and I can't see them justifying not opting for Ike b/c of his price tag (Moreland is projected to make $2.7M). Because of their depth, they may be more willing to part with Kingham than the Brewers are with Thornburg.
I'd sit and wait....and of course continue to try to package Ike for a bonafide shortstop. We've all been talking Murphy, but Gee -- as you mention on the other thread -- is an option as well. In my eyes, so would Montero be.
I really can't figure out what SA is doing with Ike and the first base situation.
They almost have to trade one of either Ike or Duda. They're redundant. Both are lefty, both only play first, both have deficiencies so far. Trying to guess which one will give you more production at the plate is just guess work at this point, IMO.
Obviously, it sounds like other teams think Ike has more upside as he's the only one we've heard linked to a couple of teams as a trade partner. I've heard nothing about Duda.
'It also appears that they are asking for pitching which leads me to believe they are considering trading from strength for other positions.'
This I agree with. Can't ever have enough pitching and the more we acquire, the easier it will be to trade for young position players, which we're definitely light in.
SA says he won't just give Ike away.
I'm guessing at this point, he'll wait this out until mid way through ST and hope his patience pays off with a team who realizes they need a 1st baseman and is willing to trade a piece SA is interested in. It's the only thing that makes sense because starting the season with both Duda and Ike makes no sense. If that does play out, I'm willing to bet Duda winds up in AAA and Ike starts the season with Satin.
I remember reading in the beginning of the off season that the Mets had clubs checking in on both Duda and Ike. It was speculated the Mets would trade whichever gave them back the best offer.
It's possible now either:
- Duda's offers were not worth trading him
- Mets have decided they'll hold out for the offer they're looking for, for Ike and keep Duda.
I'm kind of torn on this. From quotes I've read it sounds like Duda wants out and Ike wants to stay. If Duda is the OD first baseman (with maybe a platoon partner in Satin), is he still going to have in the back of his mind they'll demote and/or trade him if he starts off poor? So much has been written about his confidence issue.....