Quantcast

Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

trs86
Administrator
As it becomes more and more clear that the Mets are not going to be able to obtain a decent SS option, would the Mets be better off including one of their SP along with the Davis/Duda/Murphy type players in an effort to get the SS of the future?
Trade Niese or Gee for a SS

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

wanny
As I said in my other forum comment, I would trade Gee for a shortstop of the future.  I bet you can get more than that.  I think he peaked last season.  Strike while the iron is hot.  With Wheeler, Niese and Colon, the top of the rotation is covered by reliable options.  A kid will take the fifth spot.  The fourth spot can be filled by a Hammel, Bedard, Baker, Lannan, Maholm (top choice IMO), Saunders type.

srt

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

srt
Hmm....tough call.
Right now we barely have enough depth for opening day.  If Mejia isn't ready, who is the 5th starter?  SA said something about signing a pitcher on a minor league deal to compete with Mejia for that 5th spot.

If we do trade Gee for a young SS for the future, I wouldn't be that opposed.  However, unless they plan on letting Montero start in April, I'm not sure what our starting rotation looks like for Opening Day.  And God forbid one of Colon/Niese/Wheeler aren't ready to go.

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

Stickguy
hey, you stole this from me.  But you forgot the other option.  Trade them both!

like I have said, yes, you troll these 2 hard to try and resolve major position player issues.  If one brings back the return you need, trade them.  If you somehow get too good to pass up offers on both, then hell, trade them both!

Yes, I know that means scrambling to fill more rotation holes, and you are banking on Thor and Montero (ideally, could be another prospect too) stepping up for 2015.

start of year:  Wheeler, Colon, Montero, Mejia, Dice K, Torres, etc.  Yeah, I know.  But etc. should include a guy that came back in trade too.

later in year, add in Thor, or another guy that earns his spot.

Now, 2015 is the interesting year.  you still have wheeler and colon, + Harvey, and 2 of the other guys getting time in 2014.  So, potentially, you are looking at:

Wheeler, Colon, Harvey, Mejia, Montero, Thor, Heffner, etc.

plus the team has the talent back from Neise and Gee.  And if some of that is a 1B, something they get from trading Duda and/or Ike too.

You can say that is punting 2014.  I say it is a bold step to go for more O at the expense of P, and if done halfway right, could have a net positive to WAR.

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

trs86
Administrator
I can't trade both, even with the guys on the way.  I think the Mets finally have the makings of a dominant rotation and unless you are getting a super stud at SS then you won't make up the difference.

Also, I would rather trade Gee.  Not because I think that Niese is significantly better but because we don't really have any LHSP in the pipes except for Matz.  That's a little thin to say the least.
srt

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

srt
'start of year:  Wheeler, Colon, Montero, Mejia, Dice K, Torres, etc.'

Oh, yuck.
But I get your point.  That's one big roll of the dice though.

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

wanny
not real interested in trading Niese and his team friendly contract.

Re: Should the Mets Look To Trade Gee or Niese?

trs86
Administrator
It would have to be a stud SS.